This Valentine’s Day I wanted to do something special for my fur kids. We have a big day planned including a long hike through Burnidge Forest Preserve with our new friend and housemate Fittie, a play date with Cinema’s boyfriend Murphy, and some new delectable treats!
These Banana Nut Bites are healthy, delicious, and are guaranteed to please. But what I like most about them is that they are the perfect treat to make with your kids. We know they’ll have a blast making them for their furry friends!
Banana Nut Bites
1 1/2 cup ripe mashed bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, pecans, or both!
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Using a teaspoon, shape the mixture into bite sized balls and place onto an ungreased baking sheet. They will be a little crumbly but will harden as they bake.
Take a break to play!
Fittie agrees, there’s no better way to show your love!
- 8 ounces cream cheese (low or fat free)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt (low or fat free)
- flour (see note)
- icing coloring/food coloring
Note: You will need approximately 3 Tbsp. of flour. You can use any type of flour for this recipe. Keep in mind that if you use wheat flour (or another type of flour with specs of color) it may affect the end color of the icing.
- Mix first three ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Mix in one tablespoon of flour at a time until you have a good consistency for spreading.
- Add food coloring. Use sparingly, a little goes a very long way!
You can dip, spread, or decorate using a pastry bag and tips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, then cool on a rack before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Want to do something extra special? Double the recipe and take them to your local shelter to share the love with pets in need.
Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone!